Friday 3 September 2010

Mercury Prize Awards 2010 // Who will win?


The Barclaycard Mercury Prize Awards Show is being held this Tuesday, 7 September in London. The event will feature performances from this year’s shortlisted artists and will culminate in the announcement of the overall winner of the 2010 Barclaycard Mercury Prize for Album of the Year. And the nominations are...

Biffy Clyro 'Only Revolutions'
Villagers 'Becoming A Jackal'
Corinne Bailey Rae 'The Sea'
Mumford & Sons ‘Sigh No More’
Paul Weller 'Wake Up The Nation'
Wild Beasts 'Two Dancers'
Kit Downes Trio ‘Golden’
Laura Marling 'I Speak Because I Can'
Dizzee Rascal 'Tongue N’ Cheek'
Foals 'Total Life Forever'
I Am Kloot 'Sky At Night'
The xx 'xx'


Considering last year’s winner was someone I've never heard of before - However, this years line up there are too many I know and love.

Every nominee has something about them that is worthy, however, I favour Mumford. Simply for how hard hitting the whole album is lyrically and the sing-along anthems that it has created that are full of grit and passion. Another strong contender is Laura Marling’s second release; it’s darker but still has a soothing sound of folk which is poetically charming. The XX record is deeply melancholic and grippingly beautiful and timeless. Whereas the Wild Beasts debut is frantic but executed perfectly – but I don’t feel it as a whole. Dizzee for me is always a winner- he don’t need no mercury.

The Foal's new album 'Total Life Forever' sees a new direction from their quick dance-punk that made ‘Antidotes’ a winner, yet this record has more of a relax feel. However, it’s not ground breaking.

I'm not going to lie - I haven't even heard Paul Weller's new album, I'm sure it's brilliant as he is a legend. I mean he has taken over a whole forty years or so with music - but he’s among the new kids now too much strong competition.

Dizzee, Corinne, Biffy and Weller can step aside for the new folk, the new talent 2010 has created alone deserves an award – it’s a tricky decision...it's looking like The XX though.

No comments:

Post a Comment