Sunday 12 June 2011

The Future's Bright, The Future's Sunburn

So you have done your seventeen years or so of education, been kicked out the doors of university with the sealed approval that you're kind of clever by the standards of some old fart, and now you have some letters after your name. But is that really enough these days?

I'm not really one for writing these insightful posts, but recently I have come to the end of my education so I guess this rant was coming. It has left me asking the question "what next?" Which is rather a common (I hope) thought that crosses many twenty some-thing fresh faced, cocky 'I am going to take over the world' university types. But it turns out it is as hard as everyone says it is.

The common option is to pack up and go travelling, thus drowning in more debt, but on the upside you may come back with a tan and a new hot Spanish fella. Others go back home or try out graduate schemes, but do you actually know what you want to do yet?

I'm writing this in my student house, in which I'm clinging to as the last part of student life drains away into the harsh reality that is real life. However, in a months time the tenancy will run out and I'll be back home with my tail between my legs back to mother…well for two months, as I’ve booked a flight….

On the 14th of September I will be flying off to Australia, and no, I’m not doing the whole backpack thing, this is a new beginning in the era of my new cultured spontaneous self (translation: I don’t know what to do with myself, so sod it) It’s going to be one step for the Wilson’s, one HUGE step for the rest of my life. Since last year was my first trip on a plane and abroad for that matter, this is by far the biggest thing I have ever done. On Google maps it's only about 2 inches away, so I'm already questioning the 22 hour flight I have to endure. To be given the opportunity to live with two of my mates just outside Sydney, with their support and guidance, I would have been a ruddy fool to turn this down wouldn't I?

So now I’m just thinking what the hell is it going to be like? As I am as cultured as a brick. My narrow mindness has already led me to fears of getting eaten by a crocodile from paddling. So for this and for other reasons such as job prospects etc, is why I’ve decided I have to do this, and to see if the Google images match real life. I see it not as some ‘travellers backpack holiday’, more another door opening, a second go at life if you will? Not that I hate my life here in rainy old England, just want to see some of the world and see how I cope. Stay there long enough and I will no doubt be so crispy that Walker's Crisps would sponsor me. Another big reason is the family, since announcing my big move a lot of relatives have come out the wood work that I didn't know existed, so I'm so excited to meet them. As well as this I would love for my parents and brothers to come out at some point, my mum has been abroad once in her life so I hope this will be a good reason to now.

Who knows after a year I’ll be back to Hemingby, all worldly and cultured and at one with animals that I’ve turned into some Steve Irwin/Ace Venture type. But I’m all for the now and what happens will happen, you’ve got to take the shit with the shite and treat everyday like your last. So here's to Oz and the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment